Chinese New Year: The Year of the Water Tiger
Welcome to 4720! “What?” someone might ask. The year 4720 in the Chinese calendar is the same as year 5782 in the Hebrew calendar, and 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. What constitutes a year and how to determine year zero, varies from culture to culture. It helps to step outside our own framework from time to time, refresh our perception and gain perspective. Whether we are in year 4720 or 2022 compared to the 4.5 billion years mother earth has existed, doesn’t matter so much.
The Year of the Water Tiger and Ren Xue
The Chinese New Year is always celebrated at the second new moon following the winter solstice. This year it falls on February 1st. The Chinese zodiac system has its roots in the Qin Dynasty and is over 2000 years old. There are 12 animals in the Chinese zodiac, and on February 1st we will enter the year of the tiger. Besides the tiger the system includes: rat, ox, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog and pig.
In addition to animals, the Chinese zodiac also cycles through five elements: wood, fire, earth, metal and water. We are just about to enter the year of the Water Tiger. With 12 signs and 5 elements, the year of the water tiger returns only every 60 years.
Why is the Water Tiger a Special Year for Ren Xue?
REN XUE is a holistic approach to enhancing and uplifting life and improving health and well-being by understanding and following the universal laws of human life. Yuan Tze, the founder of Ren Xue, was born in China in the year of the Water Tiger. In 2022 he will celebrate his 60th birthday, marking a complete trip around the zodiac. This is also a special year for us because Ren Xue was founded 20 years ago when Yuan Tze moved to New Zealand. His ability to convey profound ancient wisdom in the most accessible way has had a huge impact on the hearts and minds of many people around the globe.
You can watch the recordings of this event here:
Learn Qigong with Our Beginner Set
To honor this special time, Ren Xue of the Americas is offering a discounted beginners set especially appropriate for newcomers to Yuan Qigong and Ren Xue. This bundle consists of the courses Gathering Qi and Nourishing Qi. The courses include exceptional video tutorials, over 5 hours of guided audio practices and detailed explanations of the methods, movements and mind activities.
The Chinese Zodiac System
If you aren’t familiar with the Chinese zodiac, here are the animals that are associated with each year. If you were born in January or February, you will need to check out the exact date the new year began.
- The Rat is the first of the Chinese zodiac animals; it is associated with wisdom. People are born in 2020, 2008, 1996, 1984, 1972, 1960, 1948 and so on are also considered to be creative, resourceful and organized.
- The Ox is associated with diligence. People are born in 2021, 2009, 1997, 1985, 1973, 1949 and 1937 are said to be strong, dependable and determined.
- The Tiger is associated with valor. People are born in 2010, 1998, 1986, 1974, 1962, 1950 and 1938 are said to value independence and have a strong sense of justice.
- The Rabbit is associated with prudence. People are born in 2011, 1999, 1987, 1975,1963, 1951 and 1939 are considered to be thoughtful and warm.
- The Dragon is associated with strength. People are born in 2012, 2000, 1988, 1976, 1964, 1952 and 1940 tend to work well with others but are prone to overthinking.
- The Snake is associated with flexibility. People are born in 2013, 2001, 1989, 1977, 1965, 1953 and 1941 can appear aloof but are quick-thinking and decisive.
- The Horse is associated with persistence. People are born in 2014, 2002, 1990, 1978, 1966, 1954 and 1942 can have short tempers that make them emotionally volatile at times.
- The Goat is associated with peace. People are born in 2015, 2003, 1991, 1979, 1967, 1955 and 1943 are often generous and sociable.
- The Monkey is associated with intelligence. People are born in 2016, 2004, 1992, 1980, 1968, 1956 and 1944 can sometimes be arrogant and self-centered.
- The Rooster is associated with constancy. People are born in 2017, 2005, 1993, 1981, 1969, 1957 and 1945 are said to work hard but value their freedom.
- The Dog is associated with loyalty. People are born in 2018, 2006, 1994, 1982, 1970, 1958 and 1946 are thought to be observant and reliable.
- The Pig is associated with amiability. People are born in 2019, 2007, 1995, 1983, 1971, 1959 and 1947 can be materialistic but might not be responsible with their money.